5.25.2009

Global Warming?

I haven't written in a while cause I have been reading Twilight.
yes... Tasha and I practically are speed-reading through this shit.
(Like insane teen vampire throb banshees...)

I'll write more on Vampires another time.
And cause I don't really know how to move gracefully from that into my next subject...


Now...


Mother Nature is a huge, strong and creative entity.
So beautiful she brings me to tears!
There is no doubt that humans have an impact on the environment... but with this
global warming thing-
a. are we really so self absorbed to think that we have a truly lasting impact on her?
b. really folks... let's face it- What are we really talking about here? We care most about our own preservation. Our species.

Which is fine! That is so natural!
And don't get me wrong- Humans have contributed to the extinction of so many species in the animal kingdom. They've done bad and wonderful things!

Here are some things to consider:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event


There has been 5 major extinctions that we can prove or know of.
In the most recent New Yorker they talk about us as the 6th:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/05/25/090525fa_fact_kolbert

Here are some sites about ice ages, and their cyclical behaviors:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ice/chill.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age

There have been four major ice ages that we have recorded.

Our planet is on a wonderful cyclical pattern.
She has her own separate summers and winters that we never witness, cause we don't live that long.

That and She has her own beginning and end.
And though we might destroy much in our path... and as little as I like that...
We could not kill her.

Also- We evolved into the creatures that we are from primates and lemurs and such.
Here is an article/video about the new missing link in human evolution:
http://quietube.com/v.php/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nk9nwohqts

I am so excited to think about what we may evolve into as a species.
And the future creatures!

But I've always been insanely nostalgic about our extinct friends. (and totally and fully love all animals- because life is so miraculous!!!)
I remember being a little girl and found out that my favorite group of animals, the dinosaurs, were extinct- and really fully realizing what that meant.
I then sat at my father's piano and wrote a song called "Why Did the Dinosaurs have to Die."
(While sobbing uncontrollably)

Here is a little shout out to my favorite ancient extinct mammals-
I am so happy you were here.


Photobucket

Photobucket
Indricotherium (largest Mammal to ever roam planet Earth)


Photobucket
Entelodont (a vicious relative of the boar)

Photobucket
Megatheriine (Giant Sloth)

Photobucket
Glyptodont (car-sized relative of the armadillo)

Photobucket
Andrewsarchus (12 feet long not including tail, 6 feet tall- This is one of the largest land predators. It also had the early stages of hooves... It's closest known relatives are small hooved creatures like sheep and goats... weird, huh!)

Photobucket
Smilodon (yes... it is pronounced, "SMILE-O-DON")

Photobucket
Ancylotherium (looks like a cross between a horse and a gorilla, but much much larger... it's closest relative is the Tapir and Rhino)